Adams County Emergency Rental Assistance Program


Struggling to pay your rent because of the COVID pandemic?

The federal government and Adams County can help with past due rent payments for low-income renters living in Adams County who were infected by the COVID virus or were unemployed or had to reduce work hours during the coronavirus pandemic. The COVID pandemic must be the reason for the need for rent assistance.

You may be able to get help if you meet all of the following four criteria:

  • You or someone in your household has qualified for unemployment or you or someone in your household has experienced a reduction in work hours due to COVID-19 or the resulting public health orders; and
  • You are at risk of experiencing eviction or homelessness because you are two or more months behind on rent; and
  • You rent a home in the Adams County eligible area::
    • Aurora residents must apply for assistance through the City of Aurora: click here then choose the button for City of Aurora under the Landlords and Tenants section.
    • Westminster and Arvada residents in Jefferson County must apply for assistance through that county. Click here.
  • Your household income is at or below 80% of the area median income (see table).

# of People in Household

Maximum Income (80% AMI)



2 $63,950
3 $71,950
4 $79,900
5 $86,300
6 $92,700
7 $99,100
8 $105,500
Adams County ERA Program Income Requirements

There is a limited amount of funds. Adams County seeks to serve everyone who meets the criteria once. Therefore, applicants who have not received financial assistance through this program are being reviewed at this time.

The Application

The Adams County ERA Program application can be completed and submitted here. (The application works best in Google Chrome.)

How it works:

  • Fill out an application through a computer, phone or tablet.
  • Upload your lease agreement and income documentation. Also, upload any demand notices or eviction summons.  You can take photos of each page of the documents or scan documents.
  • Submit your application.
  • Your application will be reviewed to ensure your address is in the eligible area, and that you have uploaded the necessary documents.
  • Then applications will be forwarded to one of the local housing organizations for full review. You will be contacted by one of the following organizations: Maiker Housing Partners, Brighton Housing Authority, Commerce City Housing Authority, or COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project.
  • Your landlord and/or utility company will be paid directly if your application is approved for rental assistance.

Documents to Submit:

Documents are required to prove your household meets the eligibility criteria. You can submit electronic documents, scanned documents, or photographed documents. All pages of a document must be submitted. The entire page must be seen in the scan/photograph and the image must be clear enough to read. You can contact one of the housing organizations listed to schedule a time to bring in your documents. The organizations will scan the documents for you. Photographs of computer screens are not accepted.

Documentation Needed

Acceptable Documents

Identification for Applicant Photo ID for adults living in the rental housing over the age of 18. Optional – if all people living in the house are listed on the rent agreement.
Proof of Income 
The following forms of documentation will be accepted to support income:
  • 2020 Tax Return (Form 1040).
  • Two (2) consecutive months of the most recent income documentation for all adults (18 and over) living in the home:
    • This could be paystubs or other wage statements; or
    • Social Security statements; or
    • Retirement, survivor, or disability pensions or retirement distributions; or
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI); or
    • Any other sources of income regularly received, such as Veterans' (VA) payments, child support, alimony, interest, dividends, net rental income, royalty income, or income from estates and trusts; or
    • Bank statements (two months’ worth), especially for those whose pay is directly deposited to a bank account, such as Uber or Lyft drivers, or employees who receive tips as a source of income.
  • Unemployment benefits form.
  • Small business owners and freelance workers can provide IRS Form 1099 for business or consultant work.
  • Those who may be paid a stipend or one-time fee for work can provide a letter on company letterhead from the business owner or manager that states the person works for the company, the dates the person worked, will work, or does work for the company, and the pay that the person received or receives.
  • Benefit letter(s) from one or more of the following government assistance programs:
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    • Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
    • Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF)/Colorado Works
    • Medicaid for Parents & Caretaker Relatives, Adults, or Pregnant Women
    • CHP+ for Pregnant Women
    • Child Care Assistance program (CCAP)
    • Aid to the Needy Disabled / Aid to the Blind
    • Old Age Pension
    • Qualified Medicare Benefit that covers Part A and Part B premiums
    • Housing Choice Voucher that has been income verified in 2020 or 2021
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Current Lease or Rental Agreement
  • Copy of signed lease or rental agreement plus the name and contact information of the landlord, if not on the agreement


  • Written and signed letter from landlord indicating the tenant’s name, property address, amount owed per month, what utilities and other expenses the monthly rent amount covers, and start and end date of rental term. Also, the landlord must have his/her contact information on the rent agreement, including a phone number and email address.
Housing Instability
  • Documents that demonstrate housing instability due to COVID-19 :
    • Eviction Notice (if applicable);
    • 10-Day Notice
    • Past due rent notice and/or utility bill;
    • Proof of unsafe/unhealthy living environments; 
    • Other forms of documentation demonstrating housing instability; or
    • Provide a written statement on how the COVID pandemic has negatively impacted your housing stability. 
Utility Bills - if you need assistance with utility bills. Past due utility bills and/or invoices for:
  • Gas
  • Electric
  • Water/Sewer
  • Trash
  • Internet (eligible for certain households, see application)
Past Housing Assistance If the tenant has received or is receiving housing and utility assistance, he/she shall report it on the application and upload copies of award letters or checks received by the household.

If you need assistance to complete the application or have questions, please contact one of the following organizations:

Things to Know

The Adams County ERA Program is being supported, in whole by federal award number ERA0099, awarded to Adams County, State of Colorado, by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.

Suspected criminal activity associated with an application will be reported to local and/or Federal law enforcement authorities.