The Adams County Food Security and Basic Essentials Response and Recovery Team is working to meet the needs of residents with food essentials and basic needs during the COVID-19 crisis, including policy, resource and system shifts that may be needed and to provide an avenue for clear, concise information and aid in real-time.
Food Security and Basic Essentials Response & Recovery Team Membership and Roles
|Commissioner Chaz Tedesco||Katie Griego|
This Response & Recovery Team is championed by Adams County District 2 Commissioner Charles “Chaz” Tedesco who is responsible for removing barriers, ensuring resources are available, and aligning policy to improve the strategic area. The Response & Recovery Team is convened by Adams County Human Services Director Katie Griego, responsible for managing the effort and supporting the core team and larger Response & Recovery Team to move the work forward. The Response & Recovery core team determines data baseline and provides support with high-level strategy. Learn more about the Food Security and Basic Essentials Response & Recovery Team.
Food Security and Basic Essentials Response & Recovery Team Targets
- A baseline is currently in development.
- #1: Access to online grocery shopping and delivery for SNAP Users
- #2: Support Food Security for Vulnerable Populations Through Community Hubs
- #3: Secure transportation/delivery support for food and basic essentials providers
- #4: Lift the needs that food and basic essential providers are identifying in real time for PPE, supplies, and resources to entities facilitating the collection and distribution of these resources and supplies
- #5: Lift the needs that food and basic essential providers are identifying in real time for volunteers to entities facilitating the coordination of volunteers
Food Security and Basic Essentials Response & Recovery Team Subcommittees
Subcommittees are currently in development.
Food Security and Basic Essentials Response & Recovery Team Big Wins
- $200,00 Secured for Response and Recovery Efforts
- The Response and Recovery Team secured $200,000 to address gaps in services to provide food and essential needs.
- A comprehensive resource flier, developed by Hunger Free Colorado, was distributed to interested school districts to include in their meal bags.
- These fliers will help school district staff to direct families to additional resources to access food and basic essentials.
- Colorado obtained a waiver to allow for seniors to access their SNAP benefits online and have them delivered.
- The Adams County Commissioners and members of the Response and Recovery Team have signed onto a letter to urge the Adams County Delegation to support the policies put forward by Hunger Free Colorado in the next COVID-19 relief package related to food security and basic essentials, including SNAP waivers.
- The two retailers that will start by the end of May are Walmart and Amazon.
- The state plans to expand retailers after a month of working through logistics.
- This is still a work in progress, but the advocacy of the team made this a four month timeframe to just a month.
- Other federal SNAP waivers have been extended through the end of May.
- Transportation/Delivery Support Secured for Community Providers Secured .
- Two private companies are willing to help transport large food loads.
- The Adams County fleet can be used to support transportation and delivery for food basic essentials providers as long as county employees are driving.
- Volunteers Secured for Community Providers.
- The City of Thornton Volunteer program is willing to receive volunteer requests from community entities through this team.
- The U.S Department of Agriculture approved a request from Colorado and a dozen states to allow online purchases using federal food assistance.
- The greenlight from the USDA allows the state to work with previously-authorized retailers to implement its own pilot.
- Online purchasing is expected to be implemented in May/June 2020.
Join This Effort
Participate in weekly Response & Recovery Team meetings recurring date TBD via Zoom. Please RSVP on Constant Contact (Link to come soon) if you have not previously attended. For more information about the Response & Recovery Team, please contact RMC2C backbone staff :